PHOENIX — One person is dead after opening fire on officers early Sunday morning outside a condominium complex in west Phoenix.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said the back-and-forth gunfire took place near 35th and Northern avenues.
He said someone called 911 around 2 a.m. to report a suspicious person in the area believed to be a burglar. When a officers arrived, Martos said they saw a Hispanic man in his 20s who was standing on top of a shed, either trying to get up or get down from the second level of the condominiums.
Officers noticed the man had a gun in his hand, and he then ignored their commands. Martos said the man jumped off the shed, pointed his gun at the group of five officers and then fired.
The sergeant said officers returned fire, striking the suspect.
The man died at the scene, while no officers were injured.
Martos said the officers who were involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative leave — which is usual Phoenix PD protocol — until the investigation is complete.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick