PHOENIX — One person is dead after opening fire on officers early Sunday morning outside a condominium complex in west Phoenix.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said the back-and-forth gunfire took place near 35th and Northern avenues.
He said someone called 911 around 2 a.m. to report a suspicious person in the area believed to be a burglar. When a officers arrived, Martos said they saw a Hispanic man in his 20s who was standing on top of a shed, either trying to get up or get down from the second level of the condominiums.
Officers noticed the man had a gun in his hand, and he then ignored their commands. Martos said the man jumped off the shed, pointed his gun at the group of five officers and then fired.
The sergeant said officers returned fire, striking the suspect.
The man died at the scene, while no officers were injured.
Martos said the officers who were involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative leave — which is usual Phoenix PD protocol — until the investigation is complete.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development