PHOENIX — One person is dead after opening fire on officers early Sunday morning outside a condominium complex in west Phoenix.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said the back-and-forth gunfire took place near 35th and Northern avenues.
He said someone called 911 around 2 a.m. to report a suspicious person in the area believed to be a burglar. When a officers arrived, Martos said they saw a Hispanic man in his 20s who was standing on top of a shed, either trying to get up or get down from the second level of the condominiums.
Officers noticed the man had a gun in his hand, and he then ignored their commands. Martos said the man jumped off the shed, pointed his gun at the group of five officers and then fired.
The sergeant said officers returned fire, striking the suspect.
The man died at the scene, while no officers were injured.
Martos said the officers who were involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative leave — which is usual Phoenix PD protocol — until the investigation is complete.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.