GILBERT, Ariz. — Gilbert firefighters brought 56 underprivileged kids to a Kohl’s store at Baseline and Cooper roads Friday to buy things to help them get ready for school.
“We want every kid to start the school year with a fresh pair of shoes, nice clothes, and a backpack filled with [school supplies],” said Gilbert Fire Department Public Information Officer Mike Connor.
The kids were each given a $100 gift card.
“Each gets to shop with a firefighter,” Connor said. “With all of the discounts at Kohl’s, we each got about $140 of clothes per kid.”
Each child was selected by teachers who were asked which of their students was most in need.
One of them was 9-year-old fourth grader Jasmine Morales.
“It was fun,” she said. “I got my backpack, my clothes, my shoes and my lunchbox.”
Connor talked about one kindergartner that stuck out in his mind.
“She wanted a Disney ‘Frozen’ dress, and she was so excited about that dress,” said Connor. “Another little girl said that she’s never been shopping before. It was a tearjerker. It really puts things into perspective.”
This is the ninth straight year that Gilbert firefighters have hosted the Shop with a Firefighter back-to-school event for children.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development