GILBERT, Ariz. — Gilbert firefighters brought 56 underprivileged kids to a Kohl’s store at Baseline and Cooper roads Friday to buy things to help them get ready for school.
“We want every kid to start the school year with a fresh pair of shoes, nice clothes, and a backpack filled with [school supplies],” said Gilbert Fire Department Public Information Officer Mike Connor.
The kids were each given a $100 gift card.
“Each gets to shop with a firefighter,” Connor said. “With all of the discounts at Kohl’s, we each got about $140 of clothes per kid.”
Each child was selected by teachers who were asked which of their students was most in need.
One of them was 9-year-old fourth grader Jasmine Morales.
“It was fun,” she said. “I got my backpack, my clothes, my shoes and my lunchbox.”
Connor talked about one kindergartner that stuck out in his mind.
“She wanted a Disney ‘Frozen’ dress, and she was so excited about that dress,” said Connor. “Another little girl said that she’s never been shopping before. It was a tearjerker. It really puts things into perspective.”
This is the ninth straight year that Gilbert firefighters have hosted the Shop with a Firefighter back-to-school event for children.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns