GILBERT, Ariz. — Gilbert firefighters brought 56 underprivileged kids to a Kohl’s store at Baseline and Cooper roads Friday to buy things to help them get ready for school.
“We want every kid to start the school year with a fresh pair of shoes, nice clothes, and a backpack filled with [school supplies],” said Gilbert Fire Department Public Information Officer Mike Connor.
The kids were each given a $100 gift card.
“Each gets to shop with a firefighter,” Connor said. “With all of the discounts at Kohl’s, we each got about $140 of clothes per kid.”
Each child was selected by teachers who were asked which of their students was most in need.
One of them was 9-year-old fourth grader Jasmine Morales.
“It was fun,” she said. “I got my backpack, my clothes, my shoes and my lunchbox.”
Connor talked about one kindergartner that stuck out in his mind.
“She wanted a Disney ‘Frozen’ dress, and she was so excited about that dress,” said Connor. “Another little girl said that she’s never been shopping before. It was a tearjerker. It really puts things into perspective.”
This is the ninth straight year that Gilbert firefighters have hosted the Shop with a Firefighter back-to-school event for children.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food