PHOENIX — A man convicted in the 2007 shooting death of a suburban Phoenix police officer is eligible for the death penalty, a jury ruled Thursday.
Bryan Wayne Hulsey, 40, was convicted last week of first-degree murder in the death of Officer Anthony Holly, 24. Hulsey also was found guilty of attempted first-degree murder of another officer.
On Thursday, the jury found aggravating factors in the shooting, making Hulsey eligible for the death penalty.
“Now we move on to the mitigation phase in the penalty trial,” said KTAR Legal Analyst Monica Lindstrom. “This is where the defendant tries to convince the jury to give him life instead of death.”
Lindstrom said the defense can call anyone to the stand, including Hulsey himself. She expects to hear from his family and friends, at least.
Hulsey was a passenger in the vehicle that had been pulled over for speeding and not having a license plate. Holly was there to serve as backup to another officer who made the traffic stop.
Hulsey exited the vehicle, said, “I’ve got something for you,” and fired two shots, one of which hit Holly, prosecutors said.
Hulsey’s lawyers have denied he killed Holly and instead alleged that another officer who had pulled over the vehicle had panicked and unintentionally shot him.
Prosecutors say Hulsey was upset during the stop and complained that they were being pulled over for having a cracked windshield.
Authorities say Hulsey got out of the vehicle and started firing, prompting the officer who made the stop to fire back and strike Hulsey in one of his legs.
Defense attorneys said Holly was unintentionally shot by the other officer based on the fact that the bullet that killed Holly wasn’t recovered during the autopsy, though tiny metal fragments remained in his body.
The next phase of the trial is scheduled to begin Aug. 11 at 10:30 a.m.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.