PHOENIX — Arizona State University was selected by NASA to manage operations on the next rover mission to be launched to the surface of Mars in 2020.
ASU will design, deliver and oversee the new mission called Mastcam-Z.
Jim Bell, a professor at ASU’s School of Earth and Space Exploration, will be mainly responsible for overseeing the investigation, and supervising a science team that will be operating and creating the cameras on the rover.
“We are very excited about playing such a critical role in NASA’s next Mars rover,” Bell said in a release, “we are eager to play a role in the selection of the first Martian samples for eventual return to Earth.”
The Mars 2020 rover will be able to identify signs of past life on Mars, and collect samples that could be returned to Earth in the future. It will also test new new technology to benefit future robotic and human exploration of Mars.
Bell plans to involve a significant number of staff, undergraduate students and graduate students in the mission.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development