PHOENIX — Arizona State University was selected by NASA to manage operations on the next rover mission to be launched to the surface of Mars in 2020.
ASU will design, deliver and oversee the new mission called Mastcam-Z.
Jim Bell, a professor at ASU’s School of Earth and Space Exploration, will be mainly responsible for overseeing the investigation, and supervising a science team that will be operating and creating the cameras on the rover.
“We are very excited about playing such a critical role in NASA’s next Mars rover,” Bell said in a release, “we are eager to play a role in the selection of the first Martian samples for eventual return to Earth.”
The Mars 2020 rover will be able to identify signs of past life on Mars, and collect samples that could be returned to Earth in the future. It will also test new new technology to benefit future robotic and human exploration of Mars.
Bell plans to involve a significant number of staff, undergraduate students and graduate students in the mission.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths