PHOENIX — Arizona State University is making some big changes to what it will allow at tailgating events.
The school announced Thursday that kegs, beer bongs and drinking games will no longer be allowed.
“The tailgating recommendations are based on the cooperative relationship between ASU and the City of Tempe including our shared goals for the wellbeing of our community,” said Jim Rund, senior vice president for Educational Outreach and Student Services. “We believe these changes will enhance the game day experience and ensure a higher standard of safety.”
ASU joins the state’s other large universities — the University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University — in restricting kegs and drinking games.
The changes were approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. ASU said it proposed the restrictions to increase safety.
“The safety of Sun Devil Nation and the guests who visit Sun Devil Stadium is a primary concern,” said Ray Anderson, vice president for University Athletics. “Tailgating is one of the great traditions of football, but we are encouraging our fans and visitors to act responsibly on game day.”
In a later email, ASU Police said it would not enforce the regulations. Instead, violators will be asked to return the offending items to their car or home. If they fail to comply, they will be asked to leave.
Police will still enforce drinking laws on the books, including underage consumption.
Tailgating begins five hours before ASU home football games for season-ticket holders and 3.5 hours before the game for the public.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets