PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer signed it into law and now Arizona has become the latest state to implement a Silver Alert.
The purpose of the Silver Alert program is to establish a system, similar to the Amber Alert, to track down an elderly person, following a suspicious or unexplained disappearance. The Silver Alert will be coordinated by the Department of Public Safety and will assist the investigating law enforcement agency.
“It increases the level of resources,” said DPS officer Carrick Cook. “We will go as far as we need to go, because we know someone is in danger,”
The criteria for DPS to issue a Silver Alert is as follows:
The missing person must be 65 years of age or older;
A police report must be filed;
The law enforcement agency believes the person is in peril because of disability, need of life-saving medications, weather conditions;
All local resources to locate the missing person have been exhausted.
If a situation merits a Silver Alert, DPS will be notified. The department will then issue an Attempt To Locate alert to police agencies and issue alerts to local media. In addition, ADOT will post missing person information on digital freeway signs.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy