PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer signed it into law and now Arizona has become the latest state to implement a Silver Alert.
The purpose of the Silver Alert program is to establish a system, similar to the Amber Alert, to track down an elderly person, following a suspicious or unexplained disappearance. The Silver Alert will be coordinated by the Department of Public Safety and will assist the investigating law enforcement agency.
“It increases the level of resources,” said DPS officer Carrick Cook. “We will go as far as we need to go, because we know someone is in danger,”
The criteria for DPS to issue a Silver Alert is as follows:
The missing person must be 65 years of age or older;
A police report must be filed;
The law enforcement agency believes the person is in peril because of disability, need of life-saving medications, weather conditions;
All local resources to locate the missing person have been exhausted.
If a situation merits a Silver Alert, DPS will be notified. The department will then issue an Attempt To Locate alert to police agencies and issue alerts to local media. In addition, ADOT will post missing person information on digital freeway signs.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas