PHOENIX — Twenty years ago, Arizona kicked off a national think tank to stop impaired driving.
This week, those drug recognition experts are back in Arizona, sharing notes on the latest to combat impaired driving.
Arizona has a reputation for coming down hard on drivers who get behind the wheel drunk or on drugs. So much so that at the 20th Annual International Association of Chief of Police Training Conference on Drugs, Alcohol and Impaired Driving, a record number of officers showed up.
“We have more than 850 attendees here at the Biltmore this week,” said Alberto Gutier, director of the governor’s Highway Safety Division. “That’s a record number of attendees since we launched the program from Phoenix 20 years ago.”
One of the hot topics being discussed this week involves speeding up the blood alcohol testing process. Phoenix Police Sgt. Doug Opferbeck said that in Maricopa County, one of the road blocks stopping officers from giving blood alcohol tests on-scene was the search warrant process if someone refuses to take it. But all that just changed, thanks to the electronic search warrant.
“It allows the officer to author a search warrant on their computer and send it electronically to a judge who is waiting for them,” he explained. “The judge reviews it and sends it back electronically.”
The electronic warrant capability will now turn an eight- to 10-hour waiting period into an instant process.
“We’re getting warrants back in four to eight minutes,” said Opferbeck.
And if that blood alcohol test comes back positive, a driver’s chances for getting out of a DUI in Arizona are now about .08 percent.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon