PHOENIX — The Chandler City Council has come up with a plan that could affect the way grass is watered in some parts of the city.
In northern Chandler, subdivisions use water that is treated through the city’s reclaimed water system to irrigate parks and common areas.
But in the southern part of the city, there’s a problem.
“There are about 20 subdivisions that are governed by HOAs (homeowner associations) in Chandler that are in close proximity to our reclaimed water distribution center but are not hooked up to it,” said Chandler Public Information Officer Jim Phipps. “They’re having to use drinking water to irrigate their common areas.”
Many HOAs in the subdivisions can’t afford to tap into the system, but a new program will let the homeowner associations borrow up to $50,000 from the city to offset the cost, provided they can repay it within five years.
“It’s a win for the city, because they are using water that is recycled instead of our drinking water,” Phipps explained. “And it’s a win for the HOA, because the cost of using reclaimed water is about four to five times less than using potable drinking water.”
The HOA subdivisions must be controlled by their homeowners and not the subdivisions’ original developers to be eligible for the program.
Chandler is funding the program by using $250,000 collected through its citizens’ water bills.
Interested HOAs can call 480-782-3800 for more information.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets