PHOENIX — The Chandler City Council has come up with a plan that could affect the way grass is watered in some parts of the city.
In northern Chandler, subdivisions use water that is treated through the city’s reclaimed water system to irrigate parks and common areas.
But in the southern part of the city, there’s a problem.
“There are about 20 subdivisions that are governed by HOAs (homeowner associations) in Chandler that are in close proximity to our reclaimed water distribution center but are not hooked up to it,” said Chandler Public Information Officer Jim Phipps. “They’re having to use drinking water to irrigate their common areas.”
Many HOAs in the subdivisions can’t afford to tap into the system, but a new program will let the homeowner associations borrow up to $50,000 from the city to offset the cost, provided they can repay it within five years.
“It’s a win for the city, because they are using water that is recycled instead of our drinking water,” Phipps explained. “And it’s a win for the HOA, because the cost of using reclaimed water is about four to five times less than using potable drinking water.”
The HOA subdivisions must be controlled by their homeowners and not the subdivisions’ original developers to be eligible for the program.
Chandler is funding the program by using $250,000 collected through its citizens’ water bills.
Interested HOAs can call 480-782-3800 for more information.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.