PHOENIX — A minivan became a birthing center in Mesa on Wednesday morning.
Ariana Critzer and her husband, Ryan, became new parents after the expectant mom delivered her own baby in her car less than a mile away from the hospital.
Ryan called 911 on their way to Banner Gateway Medical Center, but Ariana was already giving birth.
The couple pulled over near University and Country Club drives in Mesa and delivered the bundle of joy just before firefighters showed up.
Fire Captain Forrest Smith said firefighters rolled up to the location finding two patients to look at.
“We were doing this assessment, of course, we are also treating mom. This was all happening in the minivan, so we have to be prepared for any type of situation,” he said.
Both mom and the newborn baby girl were transported to the closest hospital and are in perfect condition.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon