PHOENIX — A minivan became a birthing center in Mesa on Wednesday morning.
Ariana Critzer and her husband, Ryan, became new parents after the expectant mom delivered her own baby in her car less than a mile away from the hospital.
Ryan called 911 on their way to Banner Gateway Medical Center, but Ariana was already giving birth.
The couple pulled over near University and Country Club drives in Mesa and delivered the bundle of joy just before firefighters showed up.
Fire Captain Forrest Smith said firefighters rolled up to the location finding two patients to look at.
“We were doing this assessment, of course, we are also treating mom. This was all happening in the minivan, so we have to be prepared for any type of situation,” he said.
Both mom and the newborn baby girl were transported to the closest hospital and are in perfect condition.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments