PHOENIX — A group of volunteers worked through the heat Wednesday morning to help some veterans in Phoenix.
The group of 40 men and women gathered outside the U.S. Vets facility near Seventh Street and Broadway Road to repair a temporary housing building for veterans.
The nonprofit US Vets houses about 70 people who are working to get back into permanent housing.
Kate Warren, program manager with Rebuilding Together, helped organize the volunteers.
“They’ll be painting this building, it all needs to be painted,” she said. “They’ll be doing the landscaping, there are some big plants that need to be moved … we will be working on the inside (by) painting a wall and putting up some really big military insignia to really let people know it’s a program that serves veterans and it’s a place people can take pride in.”
Volunteers also made benches to place around the property as well as installed a window air conditioning unit inside the building’s kitchen.
“(We’re) putting in some window air-conditioning units, as you know that’s important in Arizona,” she said.
Warren said veterans living at the facility receive great care and support but it has been difficult for the organization to keep up with the property maintenance.
That’s where the volunteers come in, Warren said.
“To get those things that they’d like to get done, done, but they’d never be able to put it up on the top of their budget,” she said.
Warren said the goal is to help the veterans feel more at home, even if it’s just for the short time they live there.
“It’s important for everyone to have a nice place to live,” she said. “To know that where you’re living is not just transitional housing or a program place, but you’re actually at a place where people care.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets