If you have been trying to drink less soda lately, you are not alone. A recent Gallup poll says that more Americans are avoiding drinking soda than ever before.
The data was compiled from a poll taken July 7-10 that asked Americans about their consumption habits, according to the Gallup poll. Around 63 percent of Americans reported they “actively tried to avoid soda” compared with only 41 percent in 2002.
The study showed that along with decreasing soda intake, Americans are also decreasing their sugar intake. Forty-two percent said they avoid sugar which is a slight increase from 2002 with 43 percent.
Gallup suggested the change in diet was a result of a change in perception with soda and sugar now moving “into the category of food a majority of Americans appear to consider bad for them.” However, despite the intake of sugars and soda decreasing, the salt intake for most Americans has remained virtually the same since 2002.
The data also suggested that Americans are more likely to include fruits and vegetables in their diet than organic foods.
“The data generally show that Americans are highly aware of what they should and should not be including in their diet, including their almost universal claim that they include fruits and vegetables in their daily eating plans,” the study says. “Because it is not clear that such a high proportion of Americans really do eat this healthily, the challenge appears to be one of changing their actual behavior rather than their underlying knowledge of what is good and bad for their health.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food