PHOENIX — Chandler city officials want to turn the city into a major hub in the East Valley by building a retail and entertainment district.
City developers plan to build the center on an empty 4.6-acre lot near Chandler Boulevard and Arizona Avenue.
“We’re looking for a developer to come in and put some retail, restaurant and entertainment uses, as well as a hotel on the site,” said Kim Moyers, the city’s downtown redevelopment manager.
The vacant lot is owned by the city. Moyers said that means less red tape for contractors.
“We’ll be able to handhold them along the way and give them expedited review processes so that we can get the dirt moving as fast as possible,” she said.
Moyers said she hopes the new entertainment district will draw in more visitors to the city.
“What is neat about downtown Chandler is it’s not only for the residents, but it’s also for the visitors,” she explained.
She added that she wants Chandler to become one of the Valley’s top tourist destinations.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night