PHOENIX — Chandler city officials want to turn the city into a major hub in the East Valley by building a retail and entertainment district.
City developers plan to build the center on an empty 4.6-acre lot near Chandler Boulevard and Arizona Avenue.
“We’re looking for a developer to come in and put some retail, restaurant and entertainment uses, as well as a hotel on the site,” said Kim Moyers, the city’s downtown redevelopment manager.
The vacant lot is owned by the city. Moyers said that means less red tape for contractors.
“We’ll be able to handhold them along the way and give them expedited review processes so that we can get the dirt moving as fast as possible,” she said.
Moyers said she hopes the new entertainment district will draw in more visitors to the city.
“What is neat about downtown Chandler is it’s not only for the residents, but it’s also for the visitors,” she explained.
She added that she wants Chandler to become one of the Valley’s top tourist destinations.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food