PHOENIX — Chandler city officials want to turn the city into a major hub in the East Valley by building a retail and entertainment district.
City developers plan to build the center on an empty 4.6-acre lot near Chandler Boulevard and Arizona Avenue.
“We’re looking for a developer to come in and put some retail, restaurant and entertainment uses, as well as a hotel on the site,” said Kim Moyers, the city’s downtown redevelopment manager.
The vacant lot is owned by the city. Moyers said that means less red tape for contractors.
“We’ll be able to handhold them along the way and give them expedited review processes so that we can get the dirt moving as fast as possible,” she said.
Moyers said she hopes the new entertainment district will draw in more visitors to the city.
“What is neat about downtown Chandler is it’s not only for the residents, but it’s also for the visitors,” she explained.
She added that she wants Chandler to become one of the Valley’s top tourist destinations.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier