PHOENIX — Emergency crews reportedly responded to a US Airways plane on the tarmac at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport on Tuesday.
KOAT-TV reporter Matt Howerton was on board SkyWest flight 2948 from Albuquerque to Phoenix when it was evacuated after landing.
“We were greeted by a flood of first responders and fire officials,” he said.
Howerton said the pilot informed the 64 passengers the plane was evacuated as a precaution. According to his Twitter page, the plane was emptied after it was indicated smoke was in the bathroom.
FLIGHT EVACUATION: Passengers I'm talking with say they smelled smoke at the front of the plane. I didn't and I was sitting in the back.
— Matt Howerton (@MHowertonKOAT) July 29, 2014
Passengers were bussed to terminals and taken to security checkpoints to be rescanned. Howerton said some had flights to catch within minutes.
There were no reported injuries and authorities say the cause of the smoke
aboard the plane isn’t immediately known.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night