PHOENIX — Emergency crews reportedly responded to a US Airways plane on the tarmac at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport on Tuesday.
KOAT-TV reporter Matt Howerton was on board SkyWest flight 2948 from Albuquerque to Phoenix when it was evacuated after landing.
“We were greeted by a flood of first responders and fire officials,” he said.
Howerton said the pilot informed the 64 passengers the plane was evacuated as a precaution. According to his Twitter page, the plane was emptied after it was indicated smoke was in the bathroom.
FLIGHT EVACUATION: Passengers I'm talking with say they smelled smoke at the front of the plane. I didn't and I was sitting in the back.
— Matt Howerton (@MHowertonKOAT) July 29, 2014
Passengers were bussed to terminals and taken to security checkpoints to be rescanned. Howerton said some had flights to catch within minutes.
There were no reported injuries and authorities say the cause of the smoke
aboard the plane isn’t immediately known.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon