PHOENIX — Emergency crews reportedly responded to a US Airways plane on the tarmac at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport on Tuesday.
KOAT-TV reporter Matt Howerton was on board SkyWest flight 2948 from Albuquerque to Phoenix when it was evacuated after landing.
“We were greeted by a flood of first responders and fire officials,” he said.
Howerton said the pilot informed the 64 passengers the plane was evacuated as a precaution. According to his Twitter page, the plane was emptied after it was indicated smoke was in the bathroom.
FLIGHT EVACUATION: Passengers I'm talking with say they smelled smoke at the front of the plane. I didn't and I was sitting in the back.
— Matt Howerton (@MHowertonKOAT) July 29, 2014
Passengers were bussed to terminals and taken to security checkpoints to be rescanned. Howerton said some had flights to catch within minutes.
There were no reported injuries and authorities say the cause of the smoke
aboard the plane isn’t immediately known.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier