PHOENIX — More Hispanics than not gave President Barack Obama low marks for the way he has handled an influx of immigrant children from Central America, a poll said.
The Pew Research poll said 46 percent of Hispanics disapprove of Obama’s approach while 34 percent improve. Overall, 56 percent of Americans disapprove while 28 percent approve.
The influx of thousands of children has bogged down the immigration system thanks to a law passed during the Bush administration that only speeds up hearings for children from Mexico and Canada. The poll showed a near-even split among Hispanics — 49 percent in favor, 47 against — for keeping current laws in place despite the delay. Most Americans went the opposite way, with 53 percent saying the process should be sped up.
Though they don’t want an altered system, about three-quarters of Hispanics said it is important for the U.S. to pass “significant” immigration reforms this year.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development