PHOENIX — More Hispanics than not gave President Barack Obama low marks for the way he has handled an influx of immigrant children from Central America, a poll said.
The Pew Research poll said 46 percent of Hispanics disapprove of Obama’s approach while 34 percent improve. Overall, 56 percent of Americans disapprove while 28 percent approve.
The influx of thousands of children has bogged down the immigration system thanks to a law passed during the Bush administration that only speeds up hearings for children from Mexico and Canada. The poll showed a near-even split among Hispanics — 49 percent in favor, 47 against — for keeping current laws in place despite the delay. Most Americans went the opposite way, with 53 percent saying the process should be sped up.
Though they don’t want an altered system, about three-quarters of Hispanics said it is important for the U.S. to pass “significant” immigration reforms this year.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets