PHOENIX — An Arizona lawmaker is urging future legislators and citizens to recognize the need for future pay increases at the Department of Public Safety.
In a statement, released Rep. Justin Pierce, Chairman of the Public Safety, Military and Regulatory Affairs Committee, Pierce suggested the agency is entering a period of a potentially acute staffing shortage.
The department is hiring, but according to the Arizona Highway Patrol Association, the number of officers hitting the streets isn’t stacking up to the number of officers that are retiring or moving on to other opportunities.
“I think citizens should be aware and concerned,” said union president Jimmy Chavez.
According to Pierce’s released statement, “the fiscal year 2015 budget included a one-time appropriation of $3.3 million for DPS” to increase pay to personnel by 2 percent. However, some lawmakers maintain that the wages are not competitive and officers are looking for better opportunities within other agencies that can offer salaries of up to $10,000 more than what the State of Arizona pays.
“Just in the last couple of months, we’ve had a handful of officers retire,” said Chavez. “I didn’t expect them to leave, but obviously something came up.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas