PHOENIX — Kids from all around the world are in town for the Valley’s only international basketball camp.
“It’s really enjoyable for me to watch the first day that these kids show for camp,” said Future Stars International (FSI) CEO and ex-European basketball star Peter Ezugwu. “They don’t know each other, they’re very uncomfortable, there’s a language barrier…and then they just start to play.”
In that type of environment, basketball becomes an international language, he added.
“It’s about full immersion, it’s about exposure to things that they’ve never seen before, it’s about language, and it’s about creating uncomfortable-controlled situations where they can grow,” explained Ezugwu.
The kids and coaches come from Italy, France, Canada, England, Nigeria and Congo to join kids from right here in the Valley.
“It’s about learning American families, learning American culture, and in turn, American families learning European culture,” he said.
The camp trains the kids for a month from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The international kids stay with host families, study English and tour the Southwest during their stay.
“Just think about it: These kids are used to practicing an hour and a half, three hours at the most. They come in here, they do seven hours in a day,” he said. “That just creates toughness, almost by default.”
Compared to their normal rate, the kids are training about six months of basketball in one month, he said.
For information on all of the sports camps available in the Valley from FSI, click here.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.