PHOENIX — Kids from all around the world are in town for the Valley’s only international basketball camp.
“It’s really enjoyable for me to watch the first day that these kids show for camp,” said Future Stars International (FSI) CEO and ex-European basketball star Peter Ezugwu. “They don’t know each other, they’re very uncomfortable, there’s a language barrier…and then they just start to play.”
In that type of environment, basketball becomes an international language, he added.
“It’s about full immersion, it’s about exposure to things that they’ve never seen before, it’s about language, and it’s about creating uncomfortable-controlled situations where they can grow,” explained Ezugwu.
The kids and coaches come from Italy, France, Canada, England, Nigeria and Congo to join kids from right here in the Valley.
“It’s about learning American families, learning American culture, and in turn, American families learning European culture,” he said.
The camp trains the kids for a month from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The international kids stay with host families, study English and tour the Southwest during their stay.
“Just think about it: These kids are used to practicing an hour and a half, three hours at the most. They come in here, they do seven hours in a day,” he said. “That just creates toughness, almost by default.”
Compared to their normal rate, the kids are training about six months of basketball in one month, he said.
For information on all of the sports camps available in the Valley from FSI, click here.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food