PHOENIX — There are many apps out that take note-taking, outlines and research to a digital level.
Other than traditional books and supplies, there are apps available that can give students a technological advantage.
“The mobile platforms are being embraced in and outside of school,” said Ken Colburn with Data Doctors. “A lot of schools are now going to an iPad for textbooks. There are no shortage of back-to-school apps that can really improve productivity and education.”
Here are a couple of Colburn’s favorites:
1. (Apple only) iTunes U: More than 600,000 free courses, books, lectures and more. All you need is an Apple ID to use in conjunction with the iTunes Store.
This app will work on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. You are able to learn whatever you want or need, no matter where you are.
2. Evernote: Text recognition in Evernote makes it a breeze to take a snapshot of a syllabus or assignment. As long as the text is not extremely tiny, all of your assignments for the semester will be easily searchable.
3. (Android only) Arcnote. The easiest way to take visual notes.
4. Wunderlist: Perfect for collaborating study projects and assignments with others.
“I always recommend to parents before they send a child off to school with a tablet, smart phone or a laptop,” said Colburn. “You must install some form of tracking software so that in the event it goes missing or it gets stolen, you have some potential for recovery or locating the device.”
Colburn’s favorite tracking app is called Prey. It’s free.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas