PHOENIX — More than 100 Valley kids from military families got an all-expenses paid weeklong summer camp in Heber, Arizona.
Kids ages 7 to 12 left Monday afternoon for all the archery, fishing, zip lining-type activities they could enjoy.
“We want to say thank you to the U.S. military for what they do for our freedoms, to keep us safe,” said Anthony Barnes with the Salvation Army.
“I know it’s a small thing, but to be able to bring their kids in and take care of them and protect them, is one way that we can give back and just say ‘thank you.’ ”
The Salvation Army and a few other organizations provided funding for the event at 27th Avenue and Van Buren Street. The kids are heading to Camp Ponderosa.
“It’s an opportunity for us to pour into them by teaching about character building, teaching them about physical exercise,” he said. “[It’s about] teaching them how to stretch their minds, their bodies, and their hearts … all in the same week.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas