PHOENIX — More than 100 Valley kids from military families got an all-expenses paid weeklong summer camp in Heber, Arizona.
Kids ages 7 to 12 left Monday afternoon for all the archery, fishing, zip lining-type activities they could enjoy.
“We want to say thank you to the U.S. military for what they do for our freedoms, to keep us safe,” said Anthony Barnes with the Salvation Army.
“I know it’s a small thing, but to be able to bring their kids in and take care of them and protect them, is one way that we can give back and just say ‘thank you.’ ”
The Salvation Army and a few other organizations provided funding for the event at 27th Avenue and Van Buren Street. The kids are heading to Camp Ponderosa.
“It’s an opportunity for us to pour into them by teaching about character building, teaching them about physical exercise,” he said. “[It’s about] teaching them how to stretch their minds, their bodies, and their hearts … all in the same week.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them