PHOENIX — A jury on Monday convicted a man of murder in the 2007 shooting
of a Glendale police officer during a routine traffic stop.
Bryan Wayne Hulsey, 40, was convicted of first-degree murder in the death of
Officer Anthony Holly, 24. Hulsey also was found guilty of attempted
first-degree murder of another officer.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
The trial is scheduled to resume Tuesday so the jury can determine whether
there were “aggravating factors” in the case that make Hulsey eligible for a
Hulsey was a passenger in the vehicle that had been pulled over for speeding
and not having a license plate. Holly was there to serve as backup to another
officer who made the traffic stop.
Hulsey exited the vehicle, said, “I’ve got something for you,” and fired two
shots, one of which hit Holly, prosecutors said.
Hulsey’s lawyers have denied he killed Holly and instead alleged that another
officer who had pulled over the vehicle had panicked and unintentionally shot
Prosecutors say Hulsey was upset during the stop and complained that they were
being pulled over for having a cracked windshield.
Authorities say Hulsey got out of the vehicle and started firing, prompting the
officer who made the stop to fire back and strike Hulsey in one of his legs.
Defense attorneys said Holly was unintentionally shot by the other officer
based on the fact that the bullet that killed Holly wasn’t recovered during the
autopsy, though tiny metal fragments remained in his body.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development