PHOENIX — A jury on Monday convicted a man of murder in the 2007 shooting
of a Glendale police officer during a routine traffic stop.
Bryan Wayne Hulsey, 40, was convicted of first-degree murder in the death of
Officer Anthony Holly, 24. Hulsey also was found guilty of attempted
first-degree murder of another officer.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
The trial is scheduled to resume Tuesday so the jury can determine whether
there were “aggravating factors” in the case that make Hulsey eligible for a
Hulsey was a passenger in the vehicle that had been pulled over for speeding
and not having a license plate. Holly was there to serve as backup to another
officer who made the traffic stop.
Hulsey exited the vehicle, said, “I’ve got something for you,” and fired two
shots, one of which hit Holly, prosecutors said.
Hulsey’s lawyers have denied he killed Holly and instead alleged that another
officer who had pulled over the vehicle had panicked and unintentionally shot
Prosecutors say Hulsey was upset during the stop and complained that they were
being pulled over for having a cracked windshield.
Authorities say Hulsey got out of the vehicle and started firing, prompting the
officer who made the stop to fire back and strike Hulsey in one of his legs.
Defense attorneys said Holly was unintentionally shot by the other officer
based on the fact that the bullet that killed Holly wasn’t recovered during the
autopsy, though tiny metal fragments remained in his body.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier