PHOENIX — A jury on Monday convicted a man of murder in the 2007 shooting
of a Glendale police officer during a routine traffic stop.
Bryan Wayne Hulsey, 40, was convicted of first-degree murder in the death of
Officer Anthony Holly, 24. Hulsey also was found guilty of attempted
first-degree murder of another officer.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
The trial is scheduled to resume Tuesday so the jury can determine whether
there were “aggravating factors” in the case that make Hulsey eligible for a
Hulsey was a passenger in the vehicle that had been pulled over for speeding
and not having a license plate. Holly was there to serve as backup to another
officer who made the traffic stop.
Hulsey exited the vehicle, said, “I’ve got something for you,” and fired two
shots, one of which hit Holly, prosecutors said.
Hulsey’s lawyers have denied he killed Holly and instead alleged that another
officer who had pulled over the vehicle had panicked and unintentionally shot
Prosecutors say Hulsey was upset during the stop and complained that they were
being pulled over for having a cracked windshield.
Authorities say Hulsey got out of the vehicle and started firing, prompting the
officer who made the stop to fire back and strike Hulsey in one of his legs.
Defense attorneys said Holly was unintentionally shot by the other officer
based on the fact that the bullet that killed Holly wasn’t recovered during the
autopsy, though tiny metal fragments remained in his body.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy