GLENDALE, Ariz. — Monday marks the third day of the Arizona Cardinals’ preseason training camp in Glendale, Ariz.
The practices are open to the public, and businesses near University of Phoenix Stadium are expecting to cash in.
It’s the second year that the Cardinals camp has been held in Glendale, but it’s the first for the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in the city’s Westgate Entertainment District.
“Last year we were not open. We opened just at the tail-end of (training camp),” said the restaurant’s general manager, Tony Sollars. “We’re actually really excited to get our first year with the training camp here.”
Sollars said the restaurant was open for business during the regular season, and that Cardinals home games were good for business.
“It increases business by about 20 to 30 percent [compared to non-game days],” said Sollars.
Westgate Development Director Jeff Teetsel said that while camp is going on, nearby restaurants see a boost in business for both lunch and dinner.
“With all of their practices being concentrated between 2 and 4:30 p.m., we certainly see fans arrive before they go to the stadium and then come to Westgate after they’ve attended,” Teetsell said.
And it may not be only fans who patron the Westgate restaurants.
“With the players staying at the Renaissance hotel next door, every now and again some of them may be walking around our property,” said Teetsel. “You never know when you might bump into them. When you’re in the line at Chipotle getting a burrito, you might be doing that next to one of the Cardinals players. It’s just kind of fun.”
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains