PHOENIX — A local woman’s plunge into a West Valley canal turned deadly Saturday.
According to azfamily.com, officials with the Phoenix, Avondale, Tolleson and Peoria fire departments responded to a water rescue call around 9:45 in the morning.
When investigators arrived at the scene, located between 99th Avenue and McDowell Road, however, they found a woman who had drowned after being taken four blocks down the canal.
“She went under the street, through some areas, a lot of hazards,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra. “We always … tell people it’s too dangerous. Never go swimming or jump in the water.”
Based on initial reports, it’s believed the woman voluntarily jumped into the canal.
There are no other details at this time as the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate the incident.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.