PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer is drawing some criticism over Wednesday’s execution of a death row inmate at the Arizona State Prison in Florence.
The execution of convicted murderer Joseph Wood took more than two hours to complete, and has resulted in renewed controversy of the use of lethal injections.
Donna Leone Hamm of the prison rights group Middle Ground said that the length of time it took Wood to die was unusual. During an appearance on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Arizona’s Morning News Weekend, Hamm criticized Brewer for the way she’s handling the situation.
“The governor came out and said she was calling for a full investigation,” Hamm said. “But then she appointed the corrections director to investigate his own department. We can pretty much ascertain how independent that investigation is going to be.
“Secondly, she made a determination based on witness statements that said he didn’t suffer — that he was just snoring.”
Hamm noted that a reporter who witnessed the execution claims that Wood was actually gasping, and did so more than 600 times. According to Hamm, Brewer has seemingly concluded, without considering scientific evidence, that the execution was legal and that Wood didn’t suffer.
The prison rights leader is calling for an independent investigation.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them