PHOENIX — The former Yavapai Downs horse racing track in Prescott Valley is for sale.
It’s been closed since it went into bankruptcy in 2010. Scottsdale’s Gary Miller bought it at an auction, along with the speedway next to it, last year. He paid $5.5 million.
He renamed it the Prescott Valley Race Course and Prescott Valley Speedway. The car race track has reopened and is a success, drawing between 500 and 1,000 fans a race. But Miller has never been able to get the horse track out of the starting gate.
“I had a set of partners that were working with me,” said Miller. “As we went through the process, they’ve decided not to make the investment.”
Miller did not say why the investors backed out. He believes they had a solid game plan to reopen the track and make it successful.
He’s decided to sell both tracks for a total of $7.4 million, far below the $12 million estimate of what the property is worth. He said the nearly $2 million difference between what he paid last year and his asking price this year is justified because the speedway and other buildings on the grounds are open and successful. Even though there has not been any horse racing, the former home of the Yavapai County Fair has held dog shows, swap meets and other forms of entertainment since Miller bought it.
Miller said he’d consider remaining a part owner.
“I’m open for any type of a discussion with anyone about what the opportunities could be, with the end objective that I want to get horse racing going up there,” said Miller.
He insisted that Prescott Valley needs horses to be running again at the track because of the jobs and economic opportunities that he said it will provide.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon