PHOENIX — The former Yavapai Downs horse racing track in Prescott Valley is for sale.
It’s been closed since it went into bankruptcy in 2010. Scottsdale’s Gary Miller bought it at an auction, along with the speedway next to it, last year. He paid $5.5 million.
He renamed it the Prescott Valley Race Course and Prescott Valley Speedway. The car race track has reopened and is a success, drawing between 500 and 1,000 fans a race. But Miller has never been able to get the horse track out of the starting gate.
“I had a set of partners that were working with me,” said Miller. “As we went through the process, they’ve decided not to make the investment.”
Miller did not say why the investors backed out. He believes they had a solid game plan to reopen the track and make it successful.
He’s decided to sell both tracks for a total of $7.4 million, far below the $12 million estimate of what the property is worth. He said the nearly $2 million difference between what he paid last year and his asking price this year is justified because the speedway and other buildings on the grounds are open and successful. Even though there has not been any horse racing, the former home of the Yavapai County Fair has held dog shows, swap meets and other forms of entertainment since Miller bought it.
Miller said he’d consider remaining a part owner.
“I’m open for any type of a discussion with anyone about what the opportunities could be, with the end objective that I want to get horse racing going up there,” said Miller.
He insisted that Prescott Valley needs horses to be running again at the track because of the jobs and economic opportunities that he said it will provide.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck