PHOENIX — One of Arizona’s greatest athletes now has a reason to feel extra patriotic.
Valley Olympian Darian Townsend can now call himself an American. He was emotional as he sang “God Bless America” for the first time as a citizen during his naturalization ceremony on Thursday.
“Now to be able to sing it as an American, it just feels really, really special,” Townsend said.
A feeling that continued, as Townsend did not celebrate his new found naturalization alone.
“[H]aving my friends here, a lot of my close friends here, to watch the ceremony; it’s a really special feeling,” he explained.
Townsend won a gold medal for South Africa in the 2004 Olympics, and he hopes to represent the U.S. in 2016.
“After making the Olympics three times for South Africa, I needed some new goals and I feel like I’m an American citizen right now and I am an American citizen so it’s a goal that I’m going to have to work real really hard towards,” he said.
But whether or not Townsend ever competes for the U.S., he said he couldn’t be happier to be one of America’s newest citizens.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee