PHOENIX — The Valley is in the throes of summer, but believe it or not, it’s time for football.
The Arizona Cardinals are ready to start their preseason Cards Camp 2014 inside their air conditioned stadium in Glendale.
It all starts on Friday.
“Players report to University of Phoenix Stadium and check in later (on Friday),” said Cardinals Director of Communications Mark Dalton. “Our first practice is Saturday. Gates open at 1:30 p.m. The practice is at 2 p.m., until about 4:30 p.m.”
There will be 18 public practices in the camp this year, and there’s more to do than just watch. Kids have an interactive zone with an obstacle course, a quarterback toss and more. Plus, they can get autographs from their favorite players.
“We’ve got a children’s autograph experience for kids 2 to 12. Everyday after practice there will be an autograph area where certain players will go,” Dalton explained. “Everybody else can get autographs right after practice along the wall at the bottom of the field, where players are always signing after the sessions.”
Admission and parking are free, but Dalton said there is something to keep in mind.
“The parking on the weekdays is simply in the green and gray lots on the east side of the stadium,” said Dalton. “On the weekends, we open the west side and the orange lots.”
After holding preseason training camp for several years in Flagstaff, this is the second year that Cards camp is being held in Glendale. Dalton said that last year could not have gone better. Over 80,000 people attended, and the Saturday Fan Fest drew over 17,000 people. This year’s Fan Fest is set for Aug. 2.
Dalton said there’s excitement over this year’s team that “we haven’t seen since the Super Bowl years.” That’s because the team went from 5-11 in 2012 to 10-6 last year and has won seven of their last nine games heading into this season.
You can find out more about the Arizona Cardinals preseason at azcardinals.com.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier