PHOENIX — Despite a slow start to the monsoon, a Valley climatologist expects precipitation to ramp up over the next few months.
Climatologist Nancy Selover with Arizona State University said she expects to see a wetter than normal finish to the monsoon this year.
“Basically August, September (and) October are supposedly going to be a little wetter than normal, which would be really welcomed,” she said.
That extra precipitation is much needed in the Valley, where rainfall levels have been very low so far this year.
“We’re almost three inches below normal in our precipitation since Jan. 1,” she said. “Right now, Phoenix has only had 1.05 inches for the entire year and only .06 (inches) for the monsoon, so that’s pretty dry and we’re hoping we’ll get a lot more of that moisture in here.”
Selover said similar to last year, the monsoon has had a slow start and if precipitation can pick up in the next few months, the Valley could end the season at normal rainfall levels.
Cooler temperatures and increased moisture are expected to move into the Valley this weekend, following one of the hottest weeks this year in which Wednesday tied the July 23 high-temperature record and Thursday broke the July 24 record.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.