PHOENIX — One of the nation’s toughest laws against human trafficking went into effect in Arizona on Thursday.
The law increases penalties for johns, protects victims and adds child prostitution, sex and labor trafficking to the list of acts considered racketeering.
“Whether you come from across the country or down the street, women and girls in Arizona are not for sale,” said Glendale Police Chief Debbie Black.
The law was signed with the upcoming Super Bowl in mind, an event that typically sees a spike in prostitution — adult and child alike.
“This is a proud and significant day for Arizona, particularly for those who have been personally affected by the horrendous crime of human trafficking,” said Gov. Jan Brewer after signing the law in April. “There is much more work to be done in our fight to eliminate this atrocious modern-day slavery, but in signing this legislation and implementing critical measures, we take another good step forward in the right direction.”
A new public advertising campaign also began Thursday. It features the slogan behind the law, “In Arizona, we’re not buying it.”
“As for the excuses you’ve gotten away for years, if not decades, in Arizona, we’re not buying it,” said Black.
The law also requires escort and massage therapy businesses to include their license number in all advertising.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food