PHOENIX — Summer spending for some Valley teachers became a little cheaper on Wednesday after a donation from Walmart.
Ten Creighton school district teachers received gift bags with $300 worth of school supplies. Walmart also donated 10 $100 gift cards to the district.
One of the recipients was Anna Teliszczak, an elementary school music teacher at Excelencia School in Phoenix, who said she was grateful for the donation.
“Usually, I spend money on notebooks, music books, decorations, including composer signs,” she said. “I usually spend about $300.”
That’s just to start the school year. Teliszczak said she spends up to $600 out of her own pocket for the entire school year.
She said that help from districts and the community would be great.
“Community stores giving us discounts is certainly very helpful,” Teliszczak said. “(Districts should) also should allot a small budget for teacher supplies, or to reimburse them for the supplies, would be helpful.”
She also said that some financial help from the state would be great.
Walmart made the donation to advertise Teacher Appreciation Week. From July 25-31, teachers will get 10 percent back on all classroom supplies and other school items purchased at Walmart.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas