PHOENIX — Summer spending for some Valley teachers became a little cheaper on Wednesday after a donation from Walmart.
Ten Creighton school district teachers received gift bags with $300 worth of school supplies. Walmart also donated 10 $100 gift cards to the district.
One of the recipients was Anna Teliszczak, an elementary school music teacher at Excelencia School in Phoenix, who said she was grateful for the donation.
“Usually, I spend money on notebooks, music books, decorations, including composer signs,” she said. “I usually spend about $300.”
That’s just to start the school year. Teliszczak said she spends up to $600 out of her own pocket for the entire school year.
She said that help from districts and the community would be great.
“Community stores giving us discounts is certainly very helpful,” Teliszczak said. “(Districts should) also should allot a small budget for teacher supplies, or to reimburse them for the supplies, would be helpful.”
She also said that some financial help from the state would be great.
Walmart made the donation to advertise Teacher Appreciation Week. From July 25-31, teachers will get 10 percent back on all classroom supplies and other school items purchased at Walmart.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain