PHOENIX — Summer spending for some Valley teachers became a little cheaper on Wednesday after a donation from Walmart.
Ten Creighton school district teachers received gift bags with $300 worth of school supplies. Walmart also donated 10 $100 gift cards to the district.
One of the recipients was Anna Teliszczak, an elementary school music teacher at Excelencia School in Phoenix, who said she was grateful for the donation.
“Usually, I spend money on notebooks, music books, decorations, including composer signs,” she said. “I usually spend about $300.”
That’s just to start the school year. Teliszczak said she spends up to $600 out of her own pocket for the entire school year.
She said that help from districts and the community would be great.
“Community stores giving us discounts is certainly very helpful,” Teliszczak said. “(Districts should) also should allot a small budget for teacher supplies, or to reimburse them for the supplies, would be helpful.”
She also said that some financial help from the state would be great.
Walmart made the donation to advertise Teacher Appreciation Week. From July 25-31, teachers will get 10 percent back on all classroom supplies and other school items purchased at Walmart.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon