PHOENIX — More and more people are getting out and hiking the Valley’s mountains, but many of them are not prepared and may get into trouble.
Firefighters have already performed 133 mountain rescues in Phoenix in the first seven months of this year. They rescued a total of 153 in 2013.
According to the city of Phoenix website, there is no other agency in the United States that goes on as many mountain rescues as the Phoenix Fire Department.
Popular hiking spots include Piestewa Peak, which alone receives over 100,000 visitors a year, as well as Camelback, North, Papago, South and Lookout & Shadow mountains.
On average, two or three people die while hiking Valley trails annually.
While most hiking tips are common sense, people often forget the basic rules to stay safe.
Hydration is key, even hours before hitting the trails. Dehydration happens quickly, especially during summer months, and can be extremely dangerous.
The most common injury that occurs when hiking is twisted ankles — hiking boots or something with plenty of ankle support is preferred.
According to the city website, most people also get in trouble for getting off the trails. When a hiker leaves the trail, he or she is damaging the area, and there are laws against this.
It is important to remember that parks are closed from dusk to dawn, and it is against the law to be in them during this time.
Most importantly, make sure somebody knows where you are going and when you are planning to come back.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.