PHOENIX — A Gilbert tour company says that despite the recent violence in Israel and the FAA’s suspension of U.S. flights to Tel Aviv, it’s going ahead with plans for its upcoming tour of the Holy Land.
Magnificat Tours said its pilgrimages to Israel with Father Carlos Gomez, of Phoenix, are a life-changing, spiritual experience. The tour visits Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Jericho, the Sea of Galilee and more.
Magnificat owner Gary Appleberry said the next tour from Phoenix is set for Nov. 4.
“We fly to Washington-Dulles Airport, then to Vienna, and then to Tel Aviv,” he said.
Thirteen people are signed up for the tour so far. Appleberry said that one has expressed concern because of the recent attacks but has not asked for a refund.
Appleberry’s Israeli contacts tell him that so far, except for Tel Aviv, the places where the tour goes are safe.
“Jerusalem and the holy sites aren’t seeing much of anything,” he said. “Everything seems to be more down towards the Gaza Strip.”
He said that if the tour is going to be called off, he’s required to cancel it by Oct. 4 and refund the $3,900 fee. So far, he’s not concerned, but the safety of those who are on the tour comes first.
“From my experience, and from what I’ve seen, most of these wars in Israel are short-lived,” said Appleberry. “If they have a ceasefire and it calms down, we’ll go. If it doesn’t, we won’t.”
More for more information on the tours of the Holy Land, click here.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.