PHOENIX — A daylight home invasion has left one young Tempe boy scared, but also extremely brave.
At approximately 11:15 a.m. Tuesday, a 13-year-old boy was home alone in his residence in the 2400 block of E. 7th Street in Tempe.
Both of his parents were at work when he heard people repeatedly knock on the door. When he didn’t recognize them, he went in his room and locked the door.
The men then broke through a skylight window and entered the home.
“When they got to the 13-year-old’s bedroom, it was locked, so they kicked the door open,” said Lt. Mike Pooley of the Tempe Police Department. “One of the suspects went in, found the boy and immediately told him he needed to cover his eyes. [They] asked him where the valuables were — the money, jewelry, everything — and they told him to stay in the room (and) keep his head covered.”
They were in the house for about an hour, and when the teen stopped hearing noises, he left his room to call the police.
The men remained, however, and ordered him to go back to his room and cover his head.
“The boy was extremely scared and said.’ Hey, my mom’s going to be home any minute; she comes home for lunch,'” Pooley said. “The suspects said, ‘Well, if she comes home here, we’re going to take care of her.”
Shortly thereafter, the boy heard his mom come home.
“He immediately jumps out of the room, runs to his mom (and) tells her that she needs to leave, because there are men in the house, and they both run out to the parking lot and call the police,” Pooley explained.
Both intruders left by the time police arrived on the scene. Both suspects are black males in their 20s. One male was approximately 5’10” with a muscular build and wore a red shirt with a white logo.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident