PHOENIX — Biking and public transportation are on the rise in Arizona, thanks primarily to millennials, a study said.
According to new research by the Arizona Public Interest Research Group, the state has seen a 10.5 percent decline in the number of miles driven each year.
“Arizonans also drive fewer miles today than we did seven years ago, and fewer per person than did in 1994,” Diane E. Brown, executive director of the Arizona PIRG Education Fund, said.
Even though Arizona’s total population has been increasing, Brown said its driving population is dramatically decreasing.
“Fewer vehicles are on Arizona’s roads,” she said. “The percent of households with no vehicle has increased 1.9 percent for the Phoenix area.”
The decrease in driving statewide is led by the millennial generation, who are driving less than any other generation in an effort to save the environment, according to Brown. They are leaving their cars at home and getting around Arizona other ways.
“Young people are more likely than the rest of the population to use public transportation and walk and bike to get around,” she said.
Within a few years, Brown said she expects to see an even bigger number of Arizonans primarily using alternate forms of transportation.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them