PHOENIX — It’s business as usual for the 120,000 Arizonans who purchased health care through the health insurance marketplace despite a court battle.
A federal appeals court rejected Tuesday insurance subsidies for coverage on federally-run insurance exchanges. The court ruled the tax subsidies can only be paid through state-run exchanges. Arizona doesn’t have one, thus meaning subsidies would have been lost.
However, another federal court later ruled in favor of the subsidies on the federally-run exchanges.
Communications Director Jon Ford of the St. Luke’s Health Initiative in Phoenix said Arizonans who signed up for Obamacare would have found themselves in a bind had the first ruling taken effect.
“You would have a significant pocket of people who are not covered by employer insurance and are not eligible for (Arizona’s) Medicaid program known as AHCCCS (Access),” said Ford. “They would be stuck in the middle, and wouldn’t be able to afford health coverage on their own.”
Ford had some advice for Arizonans signed up for Obamacare.
“Don’t panic,” he said. “This is a legal process. It will go through multiple appeals, and there will be some time before there is a final ruling on this, most likely at the level of the Supreme Court.”
Ford said that, as of right now, it’s business as usual, and the federal subsidies are still in effect.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.