PHOENIX — If the United States wants to reduce the amount of Central American illegal immigrants pouring over the border, it needs to exercise its influence in the region, an expert said.
“We need to be much smarter about how we help governments,” Cynthia Arnson, director of the Latin American Program at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James and Pamela Hughes, Making Sense of the Madness.
Arnson said a variety of factors resulted in the recent surge in immigrants coming to America.
“Conditions in their countries are just intolerable,” she said, naming high rates of crime, violence and poverty as a motivating factor for at least 70 percent of immigrants.
Arnson said the U.S. needs to use its influence to improve the average daily life for residents of El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala if the tide is to ebb.
Though the U.S. is waging a constant war on drugs, Arnson said the arrest of kingpins and elimination of drug sites does little to lessen violence.
Arnson said an increased incorrect perception that the U.S. would forgive their illegal entry under President Obama’s deferred action program also added to the push.
“I think the deliberate spreading of these rumors capitalizes on the hopes and the fears of these very vulnerable people,” she said.
The U.S. has taken steps, along with Central American governments, to inform people the rumors about American leniency were false.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them