PHOENIX — Maricopa County elections managers hope that $3 million worth of equipment will eliminate problems at polls this election season.
County Recorder Helen Purcell said Tuesday that each polling place in the Valley will have an electronic pollbook, which should reduce the hassle of provisional ballots.
Arizona voters go to the polls in August for primaries.
Provisional ballots are used when a voter, for whatever reason (lack of proper identification, name change not reflected on registration card, name not on the poll roster), has a problem during the process. By law, a person is entitled to vote before leaving a polling place. He or she is given a provisional ballot.
The pollbook will also help get confused voters to the correct polling place.
“In 2012 we had 122,000 both provisionals and early ballots remaining to be counted,” Purcell said.
There’s also been a tweak to early ballots — the envelope containing the ballots has been changed to yellow from white.
“Maybe they will stand out this time and not get thrown in the trash,” Purcell said.
She said 862,000 voters requested early ballots for this year. The early voting period for the primaries begins July 31.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them