PHOENIX — Maricopa County elections managers hope that $3 million worth of equipment will eliminate problems at polls this election season.
County Recorder Helen Purcell said Tuesday that each polling place in the Valley will have an electronic pollbook, which should reduce the hassle of provisional ballots.
Arizona voters go to the polls in August for primaries.
Provisional ballots are used when a voter, for whatever reason (lack of proper identification, name change not reflected on registration card, name not on the poll roster), has a problem during the process. By law, a person is entitled to vote before leaving a polling place. He or she is given a provisional ballot.
The pollbook will also help get confused voters to the correct polling place.
“In 2012 we had 122,000 both provisionals and early ballots remaining to be counted,” Purcell said.
There’s also been a tweak to early ballots — the envelope containing the ballots has been changed to yellow from white.
“Maybe they will stand out this time and not get thrown in the trash,” Purcell said.
She said 862,000 voters requested early ballots for this year. The early voting period for the primaries begins July 31.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night