PHOENIX — Fewer than 25 illegal immigrant children remain in a Border Patrol facility in Nogales, Ariz., an official said Tuesday.
“Right now we hand under 25 kids,” said Nicole Ballistrea. At one point, the same facility held more than 1,000 kids.
While the facility is emptying, Ballistrea said she did not know if more children would be brought in.
In a statement, the Border Patrol said the facility remains open for any use.
“The Nogales Processing Center remains an operational resource for Tucson Sector and can be used to assist in processing individuals apprehended in other sectors as operational demands require.”
Arizona has been one of the drop-off areas for thousands of unattended immigrant children who have been pouring across the border, most of them in southern Texas.
A protest was held in mid-July after it was leaked that a busload of immigrant children would be dropped at the Sycamore Canyon Academy in Oracle, Ariz. Those children never arrived in the area. Similar protests in other states forced buses to be rerouted.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.