PHOENIX — Fewer than 25 illegal immigrant children remain in a Border Patrol facility in Nogales, Ariz., an official said Tuesday.
“Right now we hand under 25 kids,” said Nicole Ballistrea. At one point, the same facility held more than 1,000 kids.
While the facility is emptying, Ballistrea said she did not know if more children would be brought in.
In a statement, the Border Patrol said the facility remains open for any use.
“The Nogales Processing Center remains an operational resource for Tucson Sector and can be used to assist in processing individuals apprehended in other sectors as operational demands require.”
Arizona has been one of the drop-off areas for thousands of unattended immigrant children who have been pouring across the border, most of them in southern Texas.
A protest was held in mid-July after it was leaked that a busload of immigrant children would be dropped at the Sycamore Canyon Academy in Oracle, Ariz. Those children never arrived in the area. Similar protests in other states forced buses to be rerouted.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them