PHOENIX — Fewer than 25 illegal immigrant children remain in a Border Patrol facility in Nogales, Ariz., an official said Tuesday.
“Right now we hand under 25 kids,” said Nicole Ballistrea. At one point, the same facility held more than 1,000 kids.
While the facility is emptying, Ballistrea said she did not know if more children would be brought in.
In a statement, the Border Patrol said the facility remains open for any use.
“The Nogales Processing Center remains an operational resource for Tucson Sector and can be used to assist in processing individuals apprehended in other sectors as operational demands require.”
Arizona has been one of the drop-off areas for thousands of unattended immigrant children who have been pouring across the border, most of them in southern Texas.
A protest was held in mid-July after it was leaked that a busload of immigrant children would be dropped at the Sycamore Canyon Academy in Oracle, Ariz. Those children never arrived in the area. Similar protests in other states forced buses to be rerouted.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development