PHOENIX — A one-of-a-kind healthcare training program is proving to be a success in the Valley’s newest level-one trauma center.
Abrazo Health Care’s trauma center staff at West Valley Hospital worked 24 hours a day for more than two weeks without seeing a single patient. Instead, they held more than 70 mock drills.
“We actually functioned like a regular trauma service and the care of a mock patient was just like the care of a regular patient,” said Dr. Christopher Salvino.
Arizona recently designated the hospital a Level I trauma center, but before launching their new services, Salvino said they wanted to work out a few glitches.
“We found close to 200 small things that we fixed and processes that we have improved on,” he explained. “I really think that patients, when they first hit the door here, will benefit dramatically.”
Salvino said the mock drill program prepared his medical team for high intensity life or death situations and will save patients’ lives. He hopes other hospitals will eventually adopt their mock drill program.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier