PHOENIX — A one-of-a-kind healthcare training program is proving to be a success in the Valley’s newest level-one trauma center.
Abrazo Health Care’s trauma center staff at West Valley Hospital worked 24 hours a day for more than two weeks without seeing a single patient. Instead, they held more than 70 mock drills.
“We actually functioned like a regular trauma service and the care of a mock patient was just like the care of a regular patient,” said Dr. Christopher Salvino.
Arizona recently designated the hospital a Level I trauma center, but before launching their new services, Salvino said they wanted to work out a few glitches.
“We found close to 200 small things that we fixed and processes that we have improved on,” he explained. “I really think that patients, when they first hit the door here, will benefit dramatically.”
Salvino said the mock drill program prepared his medical team for high intensity life or death situations and will save patients’ lives. He hopes other hospitals will eventually adopt their mock drill program.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again