PHOENIX — Although Arizona has had some bad wildfires this year, this fire season is not actually shaping up to be as severe as prior years.
“So far this year, we’ve had about a thousand fires, for about 160,000 acres burned,” said Chuck Maxwell, predictive services meteorologist at the South West Coordination Center (SWCC). “Typically, we average in a total fire season 3,000 fires for around 213,000 acres.”
A really good benchmark year for comparison is 2011, when we had around 1,900 fires for almost 1 million acres burned, he said.
“I think what you can expect is that we are going to have some drier periods that we’re kind of wavering in and out of right now,” he said. “I would also expect, with some of the drying trends, that we will see fires perk up and maybe be even some newsworthy fires.”
But the bottom line, he added, is when it’s all said and done, this will still turn out to be a below-normal season.
Prevention efforts in reducing human-caused fires, having resources in the right places and many other factors have played a part in a calmer fire season.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them