PHOENIX — Although Arizona has had some bad wildfires this year, this fire season is not actually shaping up to be as severe as prior years.
“So far this year, we’ve had about a thousand fires, for about 160,000 acres burned,” said Chuck Maxwell, predictive services meteorologist at the South West Coordination Center (SWCC). “Typically, we average in a total fire season 3,000 fires for around 213,000 acres.”
A really good benchmark year for comparison is 2011, when we had around 1,900 fires for almost 1 million acres burned, he said.
“I think what you can expect is that we are going to have some drier periods that we’re kind of wavering in and out of right now,” he said. “I would also expect, with some of the drying trends, that we will see fires perk up and maybe be even some newsworthy fires.”
But the bottom line, he added, is when it’s all said and done, this will still turn out to be a below-normal season.
Prevention efforts in reducing human-caused fires, having resources in the right places and many other factors have played a part in a calmer fire season.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development