PHOENIX — A Philadelphia Eagles safety and former Arizona State University player was arrested early Friday morning after an acquaintance was involved a bar fight in downtown Tempe, Ariz., police said.
Court documents said Keelan Johnson was standing in front of Zuma Grill just after 2 a.m. after an acquaintance was involved in a bar fight. Johnson was allegedly shouting over officers, who were detaining the acquaintance.
Johnson was told to step back multiple times and was given a “directional contact” to the chest. Johnson then allegedly shoved an officer. A brief scuffle followed, in which Johnson refused to lower his arms for arrest.
Johnson waived his Miranda rights and informed police he shoved the officer because he felt the officer didn’t have a right to order him around and physically attempt to move him.
Johnson appeared to be intoxicated at the time. He was charged with assaulting a police officer, passively resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
Johnson was born in Mesa, Ariz. He went undrafted in 2013 before being signed by the Miami Dolphins and then the Eagles.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever