PHOENIX — With the monsoon underway in Arizona, the Grand Canyon National Park Service is warning visitors to take extra precaution.
Seasoned Arizonans might be aware of what dangers the storms present, but with people visiting the Grand Canyon from all over the country and world, park spokeswoman Kirby-Lynn Shedlowski said it’s important for people to know what to do if a storm comes along.
“If they hear thunder and they see a flash of lightning within 30 seconds or less, they should seek shelter,” she said.
Even though lightning might make for a spectacular view over the canyon, Shedlowski said it’s not worth the risk.
“A lot of people don’t know that lightning can strike at pretty far distances,” she said.
“One of the things we always advise visitors is that lightning can strike 10 miles across the canyon.”
Shedlowski said there is even a catchphrase to help travelers remember what to do in a storm:
“If you see it, flee it and if you hear it, clear it,” she said. “So basically get away from the rim (and) seek shelter.”
Flash floods also present a risk to canyon visitors. Shedlowski advised people never camp in dry washes or cross water if it is above their knees.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy