PHOENIX — Summer vacation is already over for kids in Chandler as many will be packing lunches, getting dressed and heading back to school Monday morning.
Chandler Police said it wants to remind people to be alert and take extra precaution this week.
“We want to remind motorists that you’re probably going to experience a little bit heavier traffic in the morning and in the afternoons,” said Sgt. Joe Favazzo.
Favazzo said there will be a lot of kids on the streets and drivers need to be extra aware of kids heading to class.
“They’re excited to get there, so they might not always be looking to cross the street,” he said.
As Favazzo noted, that means drivers should obey all traffic laws, including speed limits and not passing buses with flashing red lights
“The speed limit is no more than 15 miles per house in that school zone (and) there’s no passing in that school zone,” he said.
Chandler Police Department will be keeping a sharp eye of neighborhoods and streets around schools as well to ensure everyone gets where they are going safely.
“Not only our motor officers, but you will see patrol officer working the beats where those schools are,”
Favazzo said. “We’ll be frequenting those areas; the motor officers will be randomly hitting different school zones at different times (on) different days, so just be aware that they’re out there.”
Favazzo also recommended parents designate and walk routes to school with their kids beforehand so that if there is ever a problem, parents can easily retrace their child’s steps instead of wondering which way they may have traveled home.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick