PHOENIX — Summer vacation is already over for kids in Chandler as many will be packing lunches, getting dressed and heading back to school Monday morning.
Chandler Police said it wants to remind people to be alert and take extra precaution this week.
“We want to remind motorists that you’re probably going to experience a little bit heavier traffic in the morning and in the afternoons,” said Sgt. Joe Favazzo.
Favazzo said there will be a lot of kids on the streets and drivers need to be extra aware of kids heading to class.
“They’re excited to get there, so they might not always be looking to cross the street,” he said.
As Favazzo noted, that means drivers should obey all traffic laws, including speed limits and not passing buses with flashing red lights
“The speed limit is no more than 15 miles per house in that school zone (and) there’s no passing in that school zone,” he said.
Chandler Police Department will be keeping a sharp eye of neighborhoods and streets around schools as well to ensure everyone gets where they are going safely.
“Not only our motor officers, but you will see patrol officer working the beats where those schools are,”
Favazzo said. “We’ll be frequenting those areas; the motor officers will be randomly hitting different school zones at different times (on) different days, so just be aware that they’re out there.”
Favazzo also recommended parents designate and walk routes to school with their kids beforehand so that if there is ever a problem, parents can easily retrace their child’s steps instead of wondering which way they may have traveled home.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns