PHOENIX — The Valley housing market took a turn for the worst in 2011, as home prices fell 56 percent from their peak set just five years earlier.
And according to a CNBC.com report, another ‘volatile’ housing cycle might be hitting the Phoenix metropolitan area.
As the report details, when the market bottomed out in 2011, a new set of investors came in to try and take advantage of the increasing number of foreclosures.
Those investors purchased properties not with the intention of flipping them, but rather with the intention of renting.
According to CNBC.com, this drove the prices back up by nearly 45 percent, but in turn the new investors have now essentially taken themselves out of the market.
The trouble now is they priced themselves out of the market and left Phoenix housing to regular, mortgage-dependent buyers. These buyers are faced with tighter credit standards and a still recovering economy.
“I think we have a lot of buyers on the fence right now, who are saying, ‘I want to buy something, I just don’t feel real compelled to do it right now, I just want to see how things play out,'” said Bob Hertzog, a Phoenix real estate agent. “There are a ton of fence-sitters out there.”
In the last year alone, regular resales in Phoenix reportedly went down two percent, sales for newly-built homes went down four percent, short sales and pre-foreclosure sales went down 73 percent and sales of bank-owned homes went down 20 percent.
The report suggests there are simple reasons for those staggering numbers:
1. Buyers are still in the process of picking up the pieces from the last foreclosure crisis
2. Homeowners don’t have the type of equity in their current property to sell and move up
3. Tighter credit standards are keeping younger Americans from buying
The Phoenix market has been cold for a long time,” said John Burns of John Burns Real Estate Consulting. “Fifty percent of builders last month dropped prices, including incentives. Demand is weak and weakening. Supply and affordability though is fine.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier