PHOENIX — Sunday marks the 45th anniversary of ‘Buzz’ Aldrin and Neil Armstrong’s historic walk on the moon — an achievement that had a bit of a local flavor to it.
According to TucsonNewsNow.com, a new documentary has come to Tucson detailing how renowned astronomer Gerard Kuiper came to the University of Arizona to get a better understanding of the moon.
The documentary entitled ‘Desert Moon,’ which was produced by UA graduate Jason Davis and Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium operations manager Shipherd Reed, reveals how Kuiper used resources around the Southwest in an effort to help NASA map out the surface of the moon prior to the first human landing.
Kuiper’s work also eventually led to increased research funding from NASA, including the formation of the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory.
‘Desert Moon’ can be viewed at the Flandrau Science Center in Tucson every Monday and Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. and Friday and Saturday at 7:00 p.m.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food