PHOENIX — Sunday marks the 45th anniversary of ‘Buzz’ Aldrin and Neil Armstrong’s historic walk on the moon — an achievement that had a bit of a local flavor to it.
According to TucsonNewsNow.com, a new documentary has come to Tucson detailing how renowned astronomer Gerard Kuiper came to the University of Arizona to get a better understanding of the moon.
The documentary entitled ‘Desert Moon,’ which was produced by UA graduate Jason Davis and Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium operations manager Shipherd Reed, reveals how Kuiper used resources around the Southwest in an effort to help NASA map out the surface of the moon prior to the first human landing.
Kuiper’s work also eventually led to increased research funding from NASA, including the formation of the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory.
‘Desert Moon’ can be viewed at the Flandrau Science Center in Tucson every Monday and Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. and Friday and Saturday at 7:00 p.m.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night