A new documentary about former Carl Hayden High School students premiered Friday at the AMC Theatres at the Arizona Center.
ASU News reports “Underwater Dreams” has already had premieres in Los Angeles and New York City before coming to Phoenix this weekend.
The documentary looks at a group of 2004 Carl Hayden students who beat out the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other colleges to win a national robotics competition.
Arizona State alumnus Oscar Vasquez was part of the winning group. ASU News said Vazquez later joined the U.S. Army and became a paratrooper, serving in Afghanistan for 10 months. He and his wife now live at Fort Richardson in Alaska with their two children.
Vazquez’ story is one of perseverance and achievement. “Underwater Dreams” revisits that story, highlighting how he and his classmates forged a legacy that continues to inspire students to this day.
Other notable Carl Hayden High School students who went on to achieve great things at ASU include: Angelica Hernandez, recent valedictorian of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering; Ingrid Tay, a mechanical engineering graduate currently working for Microchip Technology Inc in Chandler, Arizona; and Mabel Munoz, a recent biomedical engineering graduate.
Actor Michael Pena of “Shooter” and “Cesar Chavez” fame narrates the robotics competition documentary, which is directed by Mary Mazzio.
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past