A new documentary about former Carl Hayden High School students premiered Friday at the AMC Theatres at the Arizona Center.
ASU News reports “Underwater Dreams” has already had premieres in Los Angeles and New York City before coming to Phoenix this weekend.
The documentary looks at a group of 2004 Carl Hayden students who beat out the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other colleges to win a national robotics competition.
Arizona State alumnus Oscar Vasquez was part of the winning group. ASU News said Vazquez later joined the U.S. Army and became a paratrooper, serving in Afghanistan for 10 months. He and his wife now live at Fort Richardson in Alaska with their two children.
Vazquez’ story is one of perseverance and achievement. “Underwater Dreams” revisits that story, highlighting how he and his classmates forged a legacy that continues to inspire students to this day.
Other notable Carl Hayden High School students who went on to achieve great things at ASU include: Angelica Hernandez, recent valedictorian of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering; Ingrid Tay, a mechanical engineering graduate currently working for Microchip Technology Inc in Chandler, Arizona; and Mabel Munoz, a recent biomedical engineering graduate.
Actor Michael Pena of “Shooter” and “Cesar Chavez” fame narrates the robotics competition documentary, which is directed by Mary Mazzio.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon