A new documentary about former Carl Hayden High School students premiered Friday at the AMC Theatres at the Arizona Center.
ASU News reports “Underwater Dreams” has already had premieres in Los Angeles and New York City before coming to Phoenix this weekend.
The documentary looks at a group of 2004 Carl Hayden students who beat out the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other colleges to win a national robotics competition.
Arizona State alumnus Oscar Vasquez was part of the winning group. ASU News said Vazquez later joined the U.S. Army and became a paratrooper, serving in Afghanistan for 10 months. He and his wife now live at Fort Richardson in Alaska with their two children.
Vazquez’ story is one of perseverance and achievement. “Underwater Dreams” revisits that story, highlighting how he and his classmates forged a legacy that continues to inspire students to this day.
Other notable Carl Hayden High School students who went on to achieve great things at ASU include: Angelica Hernandez, recent valedictorian of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering; Ingrid Tay, a mechanical engineering graduate currently working for Microchip Technology Inc in Chandler, Arizona; and Mabel Munoz, a recent biomedical engineering graduate.
Actor Michael Pena of “Shooter” and “Cesar Chavez” fame narrates the robotics competition documentary, which is directed by Mary Mazzio.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier