PHOENIX — Car insurance rates skyrocket in Arizona when a married couple adds a new teen driver to their plan.
Laura Adams, senior insurance analyst with insurancequotes.com, said many Arizona parents do not realize how high their insurance rates rise when they add a young driver, compared to the rest of the nation.
“In Arizona, what we see is a 93 percent increase, so definitely above the national average there,” Adams said. “It’s really just a difference in regulation, and it also just comes down to what’s going on in that state, as far as statistics with natural disasters and claim rates.”
Young male drivers are more expensive for parents than young female drivers, according to Adams.
“They’re at over a 106 percent increase, while female drivers are right at about an 80 percent increase,” she said.
Adams explained that the difference in percentages is because women are generally safer drivers than men, even at the age of 16.
“We know that male drivers are getting into more accidents; therefore, their rates are higher,” she said.
One tip Adams suggested is to ask car insurance companies if they offer a good student discount.
“This is something that you have got to self-report, so you may have to send in a report card or a letter to the dean,” Adams said.
Above all, Adams said a safe, well-educated teen driver will cost a lot less than a teenage speed demon.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food