PHOENIX — Car insurance rates skyrocket in Arizona when a married couple adds a new teen driver to their plan.
Laura Adams, senior insurance analyst with insurancequotes.com, said many Arizona parents do not realize how high their insurance rates rise when they add a young driver, compared to the rest of the nation.
“In Arizona, what we see is a 93 percent increase, so definitely above the national average there,” Adams said. “It’s really just a difference in regulation, and it also just comes down to what’s going on in that state, as far as statistics with natural disasters and claim rates.”
Young male drivers are more expensive for parents than young female drivers, according to Adams.
“They’re at over a 106 percent increase, while female drivers are right at about an 80 percent increase,” she said.
Adams explained that the difference in percentages is because women are generally safer drivers than men, even at the age of 16.
“We know that male drivers are getting into more accidents; therefore, their rates are higher,” she said.
One tip Adams suggested is to ask car insurance companies if they offer a good student discount.
“This is something that you have got to self-report, so you may have to send in a report card or a letter to the dean,” Adams said.
Above all, Adams said a safe, well-educated teen driver will cost a lot less than a teenage speed demon.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain