PHOENIX — Car insurance rates skyrocket in Arizona when a married couple adds a new teen driver to their plan.
Laura Adams, senior insurance analyst with insurancequotes.com, said many Arizona parents do not realize how high their insurance rates rise when they add a young driver, compared to the rest of the nation.
“In Arizona, what we see is a 93 percent increase, so definitely above the national average there,” Adams said. “It’s really just a difference in regulation, and it also just comes down to what’s going on in that state, as far as statistics with natural disasters and claim rates.”
Young male drivers are more expensive for parents than young female drivers, according to Adams.
“They’re at over a 106 percent increase, while female drivers are right at about an 80 percent increase,” she said.
Adams explained that the difference in percentages is because women are generally safer drivers than men, even at the age of 16.
“We know that male drivers are getting into more accidents; therefore, their rates are higher,” she said.
One tip Adams suggested is to ask car insurance companies if they offer a good student discount.
“This is something that you have got to self-report, so you may have to send in a report card or a letter to the dean,” Adams said.
Above all, Adams said a safe, well-educated teen driver will cost a lot less than a teenage speed demon.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development