TEMPE, Ariz. — Police in Tempe said there was a
shooting at a motel Friday evening.
Police said the shooting occurred about 6:30 p.m. at the Motel 6 at 1612 N.
Officers were responding to a call about a suspect involved in
an domestic violence incident at the motel Thursday night. The suspect is 25-year-old Jonathan L. Williams, a Kansas and Florida resident, who allegedly assaulted his 24-year-old girlfriend on Thursday.
“Police received information that (the suspect) was believed to be armed with some sort of firearm, and if contacted by law enforcement he would shoot,” Tempe Police Lt. Scott Smith said.
Williams was reported to be in the lobby, and when a Tempe Police contact team spotted him, he allegedly pointed a firearm at officers and began shooting.
“During that contact, the suspect did something to force the officers to react,” Smith said. “The officers felt in fear for their safety or the safety of others and opened fire on the suspect. The suspect was struck and found to be in possession of a firearm.”
Authorities said a cover officer returned fire from outside the lobby and struck Williams, who was the only person in the lobby at the time.
Police said Williams was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition and is not expected to recover.
No other injuries were reported.
The officer who shot Williams is on paid administrative leave.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.