TEMPE, Ariz. — Police in Tempe said there was a
shooting at a motel Friday evening.
Police said the shooting occurred about 6:30 p.m. at the Motel 6 at 1612 N.
Officers were responding to a call about a suspect involved in
an domestic violence incident at the motel Thursday night. The suspect is 25-year-old Jonathan L. Williams, a Kansas and Florida resident, who allegedly assaulted his 24-year-old girlfriend on Thursday.
“Police received information that (the suspect) was believed to be armed with some sort of firearm, and if contacted by law enforcement he would shoot,” Tempe Police Lt. Scott Smith said.
Williams was reported to be in the lobby, and when a Tempe Police contact team spotted him, he allegedly pointed a firearm at officers and began shooting.
“During that contact, the suspect did something to force the officers to react,” Smith said. “The officers felt in fear for their safety or the safety of others and opened fire on the suspect. The suspect was struck and found to be in possession of a firearm.”
Authorities said a cover officer returned fire from outside the lobby and struck Williams, who was the only person in the lobby at the time.
Police said Williams was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition and is not expected to recover.
No other injuries were reported.
The officer who shot Williams is on paid administrative leave.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night