TEMPE, Ariz. — Police in Tempe said there was a
shooting at a motel Friday evening.
Police said the shooting occurred about 6:30 p.m. at the Motel 6 at 1612 N.
Officers were responding to a call about a suspect involved in
an domestic violence incident at the motel Thursday night. The suspect is 25-year-old Jonathan L. Williams, a Kansas and Florida resident, who allegedly assaulted his 24-year-old girlfriend on Thursday.
“Police received information that (the suspect) was believed to be armed with some sort of firearm, and if contacted by law enforcement he would shoot,” Tempe Police Lt. Scott Smith said.
Williams was reported to be in the lobby, and when a Tempe Police contact team spotted him, he allegedly pointed a firearm at officers and began shooting.
“During that contact, the suspect did something to force the officers to react,” Smith said. “The officers felt in fear for their safety or the safety of others and opened fire on the suspect. The suspect was struck and found to be in possession of a firearm.”
Authorities said a cover officer returned fire from outside the lobby and struck Williams, who was the only person in the lobby at the time.
Police said Williams was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition and is not expected to recover.
No other injuries were reported.
The officer who shot Williams is on paid administrative leave.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development