PHOENIX — Despite a partial shutdown of the federal government, the Grand Canyon still welcomed 4.5 million visitors last year who spent $476 million near the park, a National Park Service report said.
That spending supported a total of 6,238 jobs. Kristen Jarnagin with the Arizona Lodging and Tourism Association said these are impressive numbers given the park’s 15-day closure.
“The communities surrounding the Grand Canyon, like Tusayan, exist because of the park,: she said. “The canyon is vital for jobs, not just in those communities, but all the way from Phoenix to Flagstaff. This impacts people flying in and out of Sky Harbor. They rent cars, and take road trips across the state.”
The NPS report shows Saguaro National Park near Tucson had more than 675,000 visitors who spent more than $41 million. Petrified Forest National Park in northeastern Arizona had almost 645,000 visitors who spent $39 million dollars.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development