PHOENIX – Protesters took to the Arizona State Capitol lawn Friday calling for legislators to secure the border.
About 40 people showed up to demonstrate against the influx of unaccompanied minors from Central America and illegal-immigration in general.
One protester, Vince Ansel with Riders for a Sovereign America, said he wanted to see the Obama administration and Arizona lawmakers secure the U.S. border.
“The problem that we have now is that the present immigration law is not being enforced,” he said.
Ansel also said that those who have crossed the border illegally need to be sent back to their home country.
“This call for immigration reform is a farce,” Ansel said. “It’s just putting more laws on top of laws that are already not being enforced to begin with.”
Demonstrators carried signs, some of which read, “Return to sender,” “Viva la S.B. 1070” and “No amnesty.”
Ansel said he and his fellow demonstrators would continue protesting Saturday.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain