PHOENIX – Protesters took to the Arizona State Capitol lawn Friday calling for legislators to secure the border.
About 40 people showed up to demonstrate against the influx of unaccompanied minors from Central America and illegal-immigration in general.
One protester, Vince Ansel with Riders for a Sovereign America, said he wanted to see the Obama administration and Arizona lawmakers secure the U.S. border.
“The problem that we have now is that the present immigration law is not being enforced,” he said.
Ansel also said that those who have crossed the border illegally need to be sent back to their home country.
“This call for immigration reform is a farce,” Ansel said. “It’s just putting more laws on top of laws that are already not being enforced to begin with.”
Demonstrators carried signs, some of which read, “Return to sender,” “Viva la S.B. 1070” and “No amnesty.”
Ansel said he and his fellow demonstrators would continue protesting Saturday.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier