PHOENIX — Prosecution may be suspended for a Phoenix-area woman accused of leaving a child in a hot car, provided she attends parenting and substance abuse programs, the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office said Friday.
Shanesha Taylor was arrested March 20 after leaving her children in a car while attending a job interview. She was charged with two counts of child abuse and domestic violence.
County Attorney Bill Montgomery said his office felt the abuse programs, along with Taylor establishing both trust and educational funds for her children, was adequate penance.
“Based on all the facts and circumstances in this matter, we believe this agreement represents a just resolution that appropriately holds the defendant accountable for her actions while also recognizing the best interests of her family,” said County Attorney Bill Montgomery in a release. “The stipulations of this agreement also ensure that pledges of support from members of the public will have a meaningful and positive impact,” he added.
If Taylor, 35, fails to adhere to the stipulations, Montgomery said she will be prosecuted.
“This is a beautiful resolution to a very long, very hard journey,” Taylor said. “I’d like to thank Mr. Montgomery and his office for his assistance in reaching a positive outcome today.”
The children, a 2-year-old and a 6-month-old at the time of the incident, are being cared for by child welfare. Taylor is permitted visits. A custody hearing has been scheduled for next week.
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this article.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.