PHOENIX — A man who pointed a gun at fast-food workers in Phoenix was taken into custody Friday morning, after a quiet but lengthy stalemate with police.
The suspect surrendered in his underwear at an apartment complex on 16th Street near Northern Avenue after about five hours. He had been asleep.
The man, in his mid-30s, faced aggravated assault charges.
Officers had followed the suspect from a fast-food Mexican restaurant near Seventh Street and Glendale Avenue, where he had flashed a gun at workers.
Restaurant staff had called 911 when the man, in line at a drive-thru around 3 a.m., accused employees of stealing his cellphone. He then pointed a gun in their direction.
Police got there in time to follow him. He crashed the car at the complex gates but made his way inside on foot.
Some units at the apartment complex were evacuated.
He had driven a rental car to the complex. Police shut down the street a block in both directions.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.