PHOENIX — A man who pointed a gun at fast-food workers in Phoenix was taken into custody Friday morning, after a quiet but lengthy stalemate with police.
The suspect surrendered in his underwear at an apartment complex on 16th Street near Northern Avenue after about five hours. He had been asleep.
The man, in his mid-30s, faced aggravated assault charges.
Officers had followed the suspect from a fast-food Mexican restaurant near Seventh Street and Glendale Avenue, where he had flashed a gun at workers.
Restaurant staff had called 911 when the man, in line at a drive-thru around 3 a.m., accused employees of stealing his cellphone. He then pointed a gun in their direction.
Police got there in time to follow him. He crashed the car at the complex gates but made his way inside on foot.
Some units at the apartment complex were evacuated.
He had driven a rental car to the complex. Police shut down the street a block in both directions.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development